Many climate policy databases and resources exist for the federal, state, and local levels – but it can be time consuming to find the resource you need. At Climate Cabinet Education, we’ve compiled many of these resources for our own reference. Now, we want to share our “database of climate policy databases” with you!
As always, we’re committed to centralizing climate and clean energy information so that it is accessible and actionable for decision makers, advocates and the public. Know of a resource that should be added to this list? Let us know. You can contact us at email@example.com.
- Climate Change Laws Of The World- Sabin Center
- Database of climate laws, policies, litigation cases, and climate targets globally.
- Climate Change US Litigation Database- Sabin Center
- Database of ongoing litigation. Can filter by type of claim, principal laws they address, their filing years, and their jurisdictions.
- Climate Regulation Database- Sabin Center
- Database of regulations and other efforts undertaken by federal agencies to address the causes and impacts of climate change.
- Climate Policy Menu- EDF, Niskanen, Breakthrough
- High-level overview of different federal policy mechanisms, and an outline of what these mean, along with key design considerations. Conservative orientation.
- Building Blocks Of State Climate Policy
- Climate Cabinet Education’s toolkit of best practice state-level climate policy across sectors, with a focus on jobs, justice. It includes examples and model legislation from states across the US.
- NCSL Energy Bill Tracking Database- NCSL
- Database of energy legislation. Need to search ENERGY legislation for each year from 2007 to 2019 by state, topic, keyword, year, status or primary sponsor.
- NCSL Environment Bill Tracking Database- NCSL
- Database of environment legislation. Search ENVIRONMENT legislation for each year from 2007 to 2019 by state, topic, keyword, year, status or primary sponsor.
- NCEL State Environmental Bill Tracker Map – NCEL
- Searchable map featuring recent environmental legislation introduced in all 50 states. Updated biweekly.
- NCEL State Environmental Policy Resource Center – NCEL
- Resources on “trending” environmental policies. Designed for US state legislators seeking to advance environmental policy.
- NCEL Session Recaps – NCEL
- After each legislative session, NCEL compiles the highlights of some of the strongest environmental legislation in US states across issue areas.
- Digital Environmental Legislative Handbook- USC Schwarzenegger Institute
Database of state laws on air quality, energy efficiency & renewable energy, human health and climate change.
- State Climate Policy Map- C2ES
- Interactive maps that show climate policies and laws in the US. Shows GHG target, carbon pricing, electricity sector policy, decoupling policy, climate action plan, LCFS/AFS.
- Community Power Map-ILSR
Interactive map that highlights local and state power policies with ranks for each state. Links to resources used to gather information on each layer and marker.
- Policies for the People – The Chisholm Legacy Project
- Policies for the People features policies to support Black climate justice leadership. The policies below have been selected to provide holistic support to those resisting extractivism and creating regenerative and democratic systems in their communities.
- State Incentives For Renewables & Efficiency- DSIRE
- Database of state and local policies, laws, and incentives for renewables and efficiency. Not beginner-friendly.
- Advanced Energy Legislation Tracker- Colorado State University CNEE
- Database that tracks bills/laws and legislative sessions by state. No summaries of legislation or links to statutory text.
- State Policy Opportunity Tracker (SPOT)- Colorado State University CNEE
- Policy “gap” analysis/tracker. Shows opportunities in each state, organized by market preparation, market creation, and market expansion.
- The State Energy & Environmental Impact Center | NYU School Of Law- NYU
- Attorney General focused.
- Oregon Climate Action Plan Progress Report 2021- Renew Oregon
- Report card on Oregon’s state-level climate action plan that goes through specific policy objectives.
- Department Of Energy (DOE) Alternative Fuels Data Center- US DOE
- Big list of state and local laws/regulations, private/utility incentives, and state-wide incentives related to alternative fuels and advanced vehicles. Not beginner-friendly.
- CDP Database- CDP
- Hundreds of data sets on local action towards a global sustainable economy (including GHG emissions, mitigation actions, climate hazards, etc.). Can’t organize by county or city, making it difficult to use.
- Electrify The South Electric Vehicle (EV) Policy Toolkit- Electrify The South
- This toolkit includes best-practice local government EV policies from around the country with links to real-world examples.
- ProGov21- ProGov
- Searchable library of progressive laws and practices at the city level, along with toolkits for effective communication and advocacy. Not comprehensive.
- Municode- Municode
- Municipal policy database that municipalities often use to upload their own general codes
Pathways Across Jurisdictions
- Model Laws For Deep Decarbonization In The US- Sabin Center
- Database of more than 1000 models and actual federal, state and local laws that legislatures can customize and adopt in order to achieve deep reductions in fossil fuel use and greenhouse gas emissions.
- Just Solutions Collective- Solutions Library
- This library of research, analysis, and example legislation is intended to support BIPOC and frontline communities, allies, and policymakers in ensuring best practices for justice and equity are included in climate justice and policy frameworks.
- Adaptation Clearinghouse- Georgetown
- Database of Federal, state, and local climate policies, focused on adaptation. Difficult to navigate.
- Climate Deregulation Tracker- Sabin Center
- Tracker of steps taken by the Trump administration and Congress to scale back or wholly eliminate federal climate mitigation and adaptation measures.
- Climate Deregulation Tracker- Brookings
- Tracker of steps taken by the Trump administration and Congress to scale back or wholly eliminate federal regulation across 8 categories.
Clean Energy Jobs
- US Clean Energy Jobs, Investments, And Projects- Clean Energy Progress
- Map of clean energy jobs, investments, and projects by state, county, congressional district, and lower and upper state legislative district.
- US Clean Energy Jobs- Energy Foundation
- Map of clean energy jobs by state.
- Climate Opinion Map- Yale
- Maps that show how Americans’ climate change beliefs, risk perceptions, and policy support vary at the state, congressional district, and county levels.
- Climate Advocacy Resources- Climate Advocacy Lab
- Resource list of polling, messaging, and case studies to support grassroots campaign strategy support.
- Climate Nexus Polling- Climate Nexus
- State and federal polling, in partnership with Yale & George Mason Centers on Climate Change Communication.
- Cal EnviroScreen- CA OEHHA
- Census-tract-level data on hazard exposure and demographic indicators. Updated regularly.
- Toxics Release Inventory- EPA
- Tracks the industrial management of toxic chemicals.
- Environmental Justice (EJ) Screen- EPA
- Nationwide map that tracks EJ communities, with layers for range of indicators.
- Washington State Environmental Health Disparities Map- Washington State Dept. Of Health
- Map that shows exposures, health impacts, and population sensitivity, and factors. Provides insight on where to prioritize investments.
- Home | GEM- EquityMap
- The Greenlink Equity Map, which requires a subscription, can help you map up to 20 indicators to visualize inequality within cities across the US.